ACBC Board Meeting: September 2022 Meeting Minutes

September 20, 2022, 7 p.m. Frog Hollow Bikes, Middlebury Board Members: George Lawrence- President Ashar Nelson, Moosalamoo Andrew Hirsch, Middlebury Trail Manager Alan Hebert Carl Robinson, Treasurer Seth Beck, Bristol  Scott Hardy, Vergennes Merideth McFarland Eric Berg Sue Hoxie, Administrator Bold indicated people in attendance Others in Attendance:  Alex Takoudes (Midd College student), Jon Bowdish. Via Zoom: Ben Hatch, Ben Cook, and Robert Wheland A quorum was not met.  REGULAR BUSINESS President’s Report VMBA membership posters – Have posters been put out in Middlebury?  Battell Trust: George and Carl met with Caleb Kenna – good meeting, a first step to working together.  Caleb wasn’t aware of any work on Middlebury’s Town Forest plan. We will invite Caleb to future monthly meetings.  Restaurant gift certificates for have been delivered in lieu of a comped membership for 2022 to landowners.. Bridge to access Battell Woods from Buttolph Acres still needs to be replaced. George and Andrew will find an agreeable time this fall. with a wider one.  Sue brought a sample tee from Mitchell’s. Liked the shirt’s quality (Gildan Performance). Hopefully Seth will have a design(s) to present at October’s meeting.  VMBA tool order: We’ve tried again and they may be out of stock again.  George met with the Middlebury College Bike Club. Reviewed trail networks and pitched VMBA membership. Alex Takoudes (‘24.5) took over the club last year. MTB races in the fall;  road biking in the spring, plus club group rides. The college club rides Middlebury’s trails a lot–there’s potential help in building trails. 200 members in a group chat and 40 members in the club’s first meeting. The club hosted a road race in the spring–a money losing proposition with all the required support services such as traffic control.  The board discussed making Alex a full-fledged board member. A board vote via email will follow to make it official. Alex will be added to the board email list.   George met with Jeremy Parker to see if we can get a landowner agreement in place. Jeremy is reviewing the agreement.  Discussion regarding the Brewster River bridge lawsuit: The club is being sued by a neighbor – not contiguous. A bridge was rebuilt and permit is in question. The neighbor takes issue with having riders in the road. Brewster River Club (Underhill, Cambridge) has allocated $5K for the suit and it won’t be enough. Should ACBC be more careful about replacing bridges? George suggested that VMBA create a fund to fight lawsuits.  Landowner agreements: It’d be good for ACBC to get formal agreements with land owners. Make it a priority for the winter–protect our resources. Marc Lupin, at college, has sent us an agreement. Ashar to review and sign.  VMBA Add-on-athon: Add a chapter–money goes right to the chapter. October promotion. Add-ons down this year for the club. ACBC’s memberships on par with 2021, but still has five months to go in the membership year.  George discussed that ACBC should host an in-person VMBA meeting. No additional action requested. Treasurer’s Report August bank statement: Balance = Peoples Bank $11,960.92     National Bank of Middlebury – $2000.00 Expenses = $108.00  to […]

ACBC Board Meeting: August 2022 Meeting Minutes

August 16, 2022, 7 p.m. In person: Frog Hollow Bikes, Middlebury Board Members: George Lawrence- President Ashar Nelson, Moosalamoo Andrew Hirsch, Middlebury Trail Manager Alan Hebert Carl Robinson, Treasurer Seth Beck, Bristol  Scott Hardy, Vergennes Merideth McFarland Eric Berg Sue Hoxie, Administrator Bold indicated people in attendance Others in Attendance:  Jon Bowdish. A quorum was not reached.  REGULAR BUSINESS President’s Report USFS trail counter loan – no new news VMBA membership posters – Posters have been placed in Vergennes and Chipman Hill (Washington Street Ext access, across from Peterson Terrace). Discussion: Carl to ask MALT to put posters at kiosks near Wright Park or Drop In Brewing. Seth took a poster to place in Bristol.  Contact with Battell Trust (Tony and Caleb) – I reached out on July 7, no response. Discussion: George to follow up again.  Comp memberships for Jeremy Parker, Jill Kopel, and Skimmer Heller? Comp memberships are OK with VMBA going forward (ACBC does not get revenue from comped membership). VMBA’s suggestion for this year, since the landowners have already joined and paid, is to offer a gift certificate to a partner restaurant. Discussion: ACBC does partner with any restaurants, but discussed purchasing gift certificates at the Bobcat Cafe. Topic will be added to September’s meeting agenda.  Andrew and I still need to replace the bridge in Battelle/Buttolph Acres with a wider one. Is there a need for the existing  8’ x 2’ bridge anywhere? If not, it can be used at Rikert. Discussion: Put it in Battell Woods in a wash area on the double track. Might make it easier for beginners to cross.  Also, I have a 20’ x 1’ diameter steel culvert (which could be cut shorter) up for grabs. No discussion.  Ashar, Andrew, and George met with Marc Lapin, College Lands Conservationist to discuss better coordination between the College and ACBC. Discussion: College owns half of Chipman Hill. Wants to conserve land and wildlife and has asked ACBC to take all the trails at Rikert off Trailforks. Barney Hodges has left Rikert and a new manager is being hired. Hopefully,  they will be pro-bike.  T-shirt proposal: have bike jerseys or tech t-shirts? Discussion: Shirts could increase ACBC’s visibility. Potential idea: There are enough funds in the bank so that every member gets one. Sue to get pricing from Mitchell’s. Seth to work on a few designs (such as an AC/DC take-off) for a new logo? If the club wanted to offer jerseys, Voler has an on-demand jersey program?  Treasurer’s Report June bank statement: Balance = $13,923.92 Expenses = $220.50 to RK Miles for bridge materials, $222.75 to Maple Run Marketing, $1500.00 to Skimmer Hellier (New Leaf) Account has been set up at the National Bank of Middlebury.  Carl, George, and Ashar need to sign documents as signers.  A check will be written to put a large portion of the balance into the National Bank of Middlebury account. I feel we should keep the People’s bank account open until we get new checks. We can also keep it open until VMBA has our new info for directly depositing our membership $. Discussion: George will […]

ACBC Board Meeting: July 2022 Meeting Minutes

July 19, 2022, 7 p.m.In person: Frog Hollow Bikes, Middlebury Board Members:George Lawrence- PresidentAshar Nelson, MoosalamooAndrew Hirsch, Middlebury Trail ManagerAlan HebertCarl Robinson, TreasurerSeth Beck, BristolScott Hardy, VergennesMerideth McFarlandEric BergSue Hoxie, Administrator Bold indicated people in attendance Others in Attendance: None REGULAR BUSINESS President’s ReportUSFS trail counter loan – no new newsVMBA membership posters posted – posters in place at Vergennes and Chipman Hill (Washington Street Ext access, across from Peterson Terrace)Contact with Battell Trust (Tony and Caleb) – I reached out on July 7, no responseComp memberships for Jeremy Parker, Jill Kopel, and Skimmer Heller? Comp memberships are OK with VMBA going forward (ACBC does not get revenue from comped membership). VMBA’s suggestion for this year, since the landowners have already joined and paid, is to offer a gift certificate to a partner restaurant. (do we have any partner restaurants?)Andrew and I still need to replace the bridge in Battelle/Buttolph Acres with a wider one. Is there a need for the existing 8’ x 2’ bridge anywhere? If not, it can be used at RikertAlso, I have a 20’ x 1’ diameter steel culvert (which could be cut shorter) up for grabsT Shirt proposal Treasurer’s ReportJune bank statement:Balance = $15,294.97Expenses = $150 to George for trail materials and $245.25 to Maple Run Marketing Checks were written and mailed to New Leaf Membership Report (Activity from 6/13/22 to 7/10/22)New memberships(2) Individual(2) U25(0) Family of 2(0) Family of 3(0) Family of 4Returning memberships(1) Individual(1) U25(0) Family of 2(0) Family of 3(0) Family of 4(1) Family of 5 2022 (as of 7/10/22)2021Memberships8756Total Members165114 Social Media Report – Alan Hebert Trails Report Middlebury – Andrew HirschReplacement bridge on Wash St Ext? Trails Report Moosalamoo – Ashar NelsonMoosalamoo Connector – Is still in USFS review process, ACBC/VMBA (me) responsible for putting together the legal agreement with the one private landowner on that route.Trailwork – We had a good day up there on Saturday, though low turnout. Matt Germon and his son Noah, and George. Sue and her film crew had us for the first hour or so, and then we cleared and weed-whacked the flow loop. May be worth an email blast to tell members that it’s a good time to bring their kids up there. Otherwise, things are riding well. Trails Report Bristol – Seth BeckFunding for trail signage/parking approved Trails Report Vergennes – Scott HardyNothing new to report Events – proposed for August or September: vintage bike ride and post ride food/drink (GLawrence) Special Projects NEW/OTHER BUSINESSTrail raking. Raking is overkill and promotes erosion. Blow/rake narrower tread or leave it alone entirely. Create policy, post on the website. Worth raking on a new trail? Timing? A very brief discussion:Flow trails if not raked–gets greasy, clogs signageSingle track: leave leaves.Where to hold August meeting, move to Vergennes or Bristol?Remote meeting access: Can Sue set something up? NEXT MEETINGAugust 16, 2022, 7 pm

ACBC Board Meeting: June 2022 Meeting Minutes

June 21, 2022, 7 p.m. In person: Frog Hollow Bikes, Middlebury Board Members: George Lawrence- President Ashar Nelson, Moosalamoo Andrew Hirsch, Middlebury Trail Manager Alan Hebert Carl Robinson, Treasurer Seth Beck, Bristol  Scott Hardy, Vergennes Merideth McFarland Eric Berg Sue Hoxie, Administrator Bold indicated people in attendance NOTE: There was not a quorum at this meeting, so no votes were made.  Others in Attendance:  None REGULAR BUSINESS President’s Report George represented ACBC at the trail day clinic at Hard’ack on June 4. It was hosted by the Franklin County MTB Club and VMBA and taught by Sinuosity (Brooke Scatchard and Mariah Keagy). The focus was on how to organize better and more effective trail days, and what steps to take to solve problems on the trails. There were 20 people from eight chapters. It was fun to catch up with bikers from other areas, and the Hard’ack trails were surprisingly good.  George joined the VMBA trail counter committee. VMBA is exploring the idea of starting a trail counter loaner program. Nine people, plus Nick Bennette, on the committee Counters typically count people or bikes, but not both. Two counters are needed for both. VMBA wanted to understand what chapters might want, and what some chapters are doing currently (Slate Valley and Stowe are counting now, for example) Costs are high EcoCounters (pyrobox = $3-4K, MULTI = $7-8K) TrafX (VEH or IR, $2500/3, $600 ea.) Maybe consider trail cameras if we want to count? Cheaper, but maybe privacy concerns? What would we do with the data? Stowe has counters. Can see where people are going. We could see where trails are underutilized.  Sue to ask USFS if they permit trail counters on FS land.  Treasurer’s Report Carl was unable to provide a report due to difficulty logging into the bank account. Carl will open an account at NBMVT.  Sue reviewed past meeting minutes and it was decided at the April board meeting that Carl Robinson, George Lawrence, and Ashar Nelson should be signatories on the new National Bank of Middlebury account.  Membership Report (Activity from 5/16/22 to 6/21/22) New memberships (1) Individual  (0) Family of 2 (1) Family of 3 (1) Family of 4 (2) U25 Returning memberships (7) Individual (1) Family of 2 (1) Family of 3 (0) Family of 4 (0) Family of 5 80 memberships 154 total members Post meeting, Sue ran a membership report. In 2021, ACBC had: 56 memberships 114 total members Andrew asked if the club can comp memberships to landowners such as Jeremy Parker, Jill Kopel, and Skimmer Heller. George to contact VMBA–they may already have a program in place.  Social Media Report – Alan Hebert Facebook metrics are all trending in the right direction.  Engagement is up on that channel. I have been slightly lacking on Instagram.  Need more photos to make an impact. Seth has uploaded photos to the shared Google folder. Post meeting, Sue sent the link to board members again.  Trails Report Middlebury – Andrew Hirsch Landowner says OK to sign Megawatt trail.  Carl has done work on Megawatt and High Power trails. Trails are riding great. No blowdowns from […]

ACBC Board Meeting: May 2022 Meeting Minutes

Board Members: George Lawrence- President Ashar Nelson, Moosalamoo Andrew Hirsch, Middlebury Trail Manager Alan Hebert Carl Robinson, Treasurer Seth Beck, Bristol  Scott Hardy, Vergennes Merideth McFarland Eric Berg Sue Hoxie, Administrator Bold indicated people in attendance Others in Attendance:  Sam Marshall, Midd College. Jon Bowdish. Rob Wheland,  Andy McIntosh REGULAR BUSINESS President’s Report Sam Marshall, our Middlebury College ‘22 representative, presented a proposal to sign the trails on Chipman Hill to the Battell Trust Board.  Sam met with Battell Trust trustees (Tony & Caleb Kenna) last Friday with mixed reaction. Sam had made maps, discussed what it would entail to place signs on trails. Sam suggested it would help people get around the trails. Trail names are the sticking point; not necessarily the idea of signs. Sam is graduating but there may be a couple of other students to pick up the project. Signing the trails would create a more established relationship between Battell Trust and ACBC.  The trails can be tricky and easy to get lost. Trail signage would be helpful for safety and convenience. Trails could just be colored; not named. Having an identifier would be helpful. ACBC has tried before and Battell trustees have been opposed. Have discussed safety signage and trail names for all users.  Next steps: George will set up meeting with Tony and the Battell board. Sam: ACBC to decide what the priorities are?  Names were created during ACBC board meetings a couple of years ago. Concern that If trails are signed it would make them more welcome to MTBs and less inviting walkers and hikers.  Treasurer’s Report April Bank Statement – Balance $14,413.47 Debits = $725.00 (Maple Marketing – Sue Hoxie $720) and $5 bank fees Credits = $1,147.50 (membership) Membership Report (Activity from 4/18/22 to 5/15/22) New memberships (1) Individual  (1) Family of 2 (1) U25 Returning memberships (7) Individual (2) Family of 2 (2) Family of 3 (4) Family of 4 (1) Family of 5 66 memberships 132 total members Social Media Report – Alan Hebert Several posts on Facebook and a couple on Insta. FB stats: reach is up 10%. Likes up 100%. Views up 13% and we are gaining new followers (up by 250%) Need pictures of April’s and May’s workdays to add content. Sue will create shared folder on Google. George & Seth will post pictures from April there. Trails Report Middlebury – Andrew Hirsch The workday was very successful and all the trails are riding really well.  Wet areas have dried completely. The spring ephemerals are in abundance and you should all check out the trillium! The Washington St. Ext. bridge has been repaired by an anonymous person.  It works quite well and could last for many years.  How does the board feel about replacing it with a new one that matches the rest of the bridges?  Tying the circuit together with a common bridge does have advantages. – circle back with Marc Lapin. Andrew to follow up with Marc. If he knows what happened and does it meet Marc’s guidelines? The 5/21 workday is coming up and there are three sawyers prepared to clear downfall on […]