Our trails can be found all over Addison County. Our oldest and most centralized trails can be found in Middlebury though.
- To view this Trailforks map on mobile, click here
For more detailed information on the trails while on the go, be sure to stop by Frog Hollow Bikes for local insight and trail maps.
Make sure to check latest Trail Conditions before hitting the trail.
Moosalamoo Recreation Area
Wanna ride? You have come to the right place. The Moosalamoo National Recreation Area offers some awesome trails for riders. It is highly recommended that you expect a challenging ride and prepare accordingly.
A few years ago the US Forest Service, in partnership with Vermont Mountain Bike Association (VMBA) and Vermont Youth Conservation Corp crews completed the new Chandler Ridge/Leicester Hollow loop. This 10-mile loop offers great views of Silver Lake and Lake Dunmore and is a gorgeous ride through fern-covered Leicester Hollow.
To read more about the collaboration between VMBA and the USFS to bring sustainably-built trails to the Moosalamoo NRA, read a recent article in Seven Days.
Please note, that mountain bikes are limited to trails specifically designated and signed as open to mountain bikes and Forest Service Roads open to vehicular travel. To ensure long-term access, please respect trail designations.
Trails Within MNRA:
- Chatfield Loop: A sweet 12.5 mile round trip loop in the northern part of the MNRA.
- Minnie Baker: The trail climbs steeply in several pitches from VT Route 53 and then descends to the Leicester Hollow Trail on a long downgrade with a hairpin turn. The length is 1.2 miles and maximum elevation change is 800 feet. Average ride time is 3/4 to 1 hour. (This trail provides access to the Leicester Hollow/Chandler Ridge ride loop.)
- Leicester Hollow: The trail follows Leicester Hollow Brook and crosses it many times as it ascends easily to Silver Lake. The trail ends at the Silver Lake Trail, near the dam. The maximum elevation change is 250 feet and average ride time is 2-2 1/2 hours. Return the way you came, or via Chandler Ridge Trail, which begins off the Silver Lake Loop Trail on the west side of Silver Lake.
- Chandler Ridge: The trail follows a ridge with gentle grades and has views to the east and west and meets the Leicester Hollow Trail at 4.8 miles. Elevation change over Chandler Ridge is 720 feet.
- Water Tower Trails (Sundown Trail): This is a system of interconnected trails. The Sundown Loop, accessible from FR 32, is marked by trail intersection number 2-3.
Middlebury is our main hub for Mountain Biking. The networks include Chipman Hill, Means Woods, and Battell Forest. These trails are technical and rooty with favoritism to the XC rider. Speed enthusiasts will be happy to find flow up on Chipman Hill where our old school style trails offer a unique cycling experience.
For Local Information visit Frog Hollow Bikes in Town.
New Leaf Organics Trails (Bristol)
New Leaf Organics is a working vegetable and flower farm established in 2001. The property has graciously opened up their wooded parcels to mountain bikers. These trails are currently in development and a main loops should be completed my mid summer.
Stay Tuned For More.
Trails located in Macintosh Park in Vergennes are complete. This is a great area for new riders to hone their skills. These trails are easily to navigate and a great spot to ride after work!