ACBC MONTHLY BOARD MEETING: May 2021 Meeting Minutes

Board Members:

Carl Robinson, PresidentAshar Nelson, Treasurer
Andrew Hirsch, Trail ManagerAriel Kent, Marketing
Jeff Taylor, Trail ManagerSeth Beck, Bristol 
Scott Hardy, VergennesMerideth Mcfarland- Bristol
Eric Berg

Open Seats:


Midd College Liaison

Others in Attendance:

Eli Madden


Eli Madden spoke about ongoing concerns that he has had regarding communication, trail work and membership feedback.  Eli and the board spent the first half of the meeting discussing these challenges. 

These Included:

  • Better Communication and “surveying” the community for input on trail work and management
  • Further in advance notice of upcoming trail days
  • More input from the community on trail management
  • Fall voting for open board seats

President’s Report – 

Means wood- a  VMBA Covid safety  sign has been removed.  No bikes are allowed in Means Woods therefore a VMBA sign is not needed according to Cindy Hil, an acting trustee for the parcel. The trail will be taken down from Trailforks.

Battell trust- ACBC has been in communication about trailwork.  

Malt- John Derrick has been applying wood chips in wet areas in Wright park.

Dutton Property- Town looking to purchase.  ACBC would like to participate in the planning for this parcel regardless of who purchases the property.  Both High Power and Megawatt exist there. 

A work day was approved by the board to take place on MTB trails at the Rikert Touring Center.  Chaz Lyons will be in touch about the proposed work and timing.

Treasurer’s Report –   Our back account is currently at $12,018.85

Membership Report 

Memberships are rolling in. There are 124 members at this point.

Social Media Report – All things Digital.

Ariel will check to see that the membership email list will be updated monthly.

Ariel will do a blast in May to members.

Ariel will connect with Andrew to  post meeting minutes from the past.

Trails Report Middlebury– 

Bridges were installed on the last work day.  All three are currently in place in the Battell Woods.

There is a tree down in Murdoch woods on Crown Royal. Andrew will clean it up.

Eli would like to move gravel to the wet areas of the TAM in Battell.  ACBC will connect with the Battell Trust to see if gravel can be dropped off.  

Trails Report Moosalamoo – 

Hours needed!  June work day?  We don’t want to get behind on our responsibilities. 

Scouting still needed for the trail to Silver Lake from Moosalamoo campground.

Ashar will sign an MOU between the USFS and ACBC.  This MOU acknowledges that ACBC is responsible for donating hours of trail work.  ACBC board members second the motion.

There are some Oakridge Trail blowdowns.

Trails Report Bristol – 

New Leaf is dry.  Great progress on the field trail has been made.  Next steps on making trails open will be to meet with the land owners.  Single track climb up is the next step.  Beginner friendly trails coming.  Wed night informal rides.  Second sat of each month there is a build and ride day.  Work begins at 10:00.

Trails Report Vergennes– 

Scott is going forward with the DRB for a  parking lot.  


Female group rides. will take place every third Tuesday of each month.  Leaving from FHB at 5:30 P.M.

Special Projects 


Monthly Board Meeting – Second Tuesday of the Month at 7:00 PM, now meeting in-person.  June 8th is the next meeting date.  A link and an invite to the meeting will be sent to all members.